If you're getting the "failed to connect" error when trying to use the Foscam App, here I have the solution to solve the problem. Keep reading.
When the error occurs, the message that usually shows up in the mobile app is "Failed to connect, please try again" indicating that the communication between the devices is not working correctly.
What causes the problem
The lack of Internet connection is the most frequent problem related to this error, but other issues can also contribute to this issue.
The most common problems.
- The camera, DVR, or NVR can't reach the Internet.
- A firewall is blocking the camera data traffic.
- There's no enough bandwidth for the camera.
- The port number used by the device was changed
- There's a problem with the actual firmware.
Let's take a look at how to fix the problem.
How to fix the "Foscam failed to connect" error
To fix the error, follow the steps below.
- Check the device (DVR, NVR, or IP camera) Internet connection.
- Log in to the local router and check if the firewall is enabled.
- Disable the router's firewall or change the blocking rules.
- Check if your Internet link has enough bandwidth.
- Log in to the device and check the port number it's using.
- Log in to the Foscam App and check if the configuration is correct.
- Lower the bit rate and video frame rate of the device.
Here are some details that can help you.
Check and improve the Internet connection
Open the DVR's network menu and check if the IP, network mask, gateway, and DNS are correct according to your local network range.
Check if the mobile phone is connected to the local Wi-Fi router and communicates to the IP camera, DVR or NVR and later change the connection to the mobile data and do the same test.
If you are using a Foscam Wi-Fi camera, move it closer to the router (if possible) and remove objects that could block the Wi-Fi signal.
Disable or change the router's firewall rules
Most Internet routers have a security tab that allows you to block data traffic from specific devices, IP addresses, and ports. Make sure no rule is blocking the ports that are being used by your device.
The picture shows a Netgear C6300 router with the security features.
Check the bitrate and port numbers
Make sure the Internet bandwidth is enough to handle the traffic from the device. I recommend you to read the article "What is bitrate for IP camera" and "How to measure bandwidth for IP camera" to understand how the concept and then log in to the IP camera, DVR or NVR to adjust the configuration.
You can also check what the port number used by the device, as shown below.
Most of the time, the "failed to connect" error is related to problems with the Internet or a lack of enough bandwidth. You can follow the instructions in this article to solve the problem and just in case if the issue remains, please visit the Foscam website and aks for help.
I hope this article can help you; please share it with your friends.
Want to learn more ?
If you want to become a professional CCTV installer or designer, take a look at the material available in the blog. Just click the links below:
Please share this information with your friends...